In 1365, the city owned one pair of cheese scales only, but this increased to four in 1612. The kaasdragersgilde (cheese carrier’s guild) is first mentioned in the archives in 1619. 1593, however, is considered the first year of the cheese market, which has always taken place on the Waagplein. This square has been extended several times in the course of two centuries, it was enlarged no fewer than eight times before it reached its current dimensions, which proves the importance of cheese trade for the city.
In the 17th century, cheese was traded on Fridays and Saturdays from May until All Saint’s Day, and in the 18th century on four days a week.