History of the cheesemarket
In 1365, the city owned one pair of cheese scales only,
but this increased to four in 1612. The kaasdragersgilde
(cheese carrier’s guild) is first mentioned in the archives
in 1619. 1593, however, is considered the first year
of the cheese market, which has always taken place
on the Waagplein. This square has been extended several times;
in the course of two centuries, it was enlarged no fewer
than eight times before it reached its
current dimensions, which proves the importance of
cheese trade for the city.
In the 17th century, cheese was traded on Fridays and Saturdays
from May until All Saint’s Day, and in the 18th century on four days a week.